Healthy teeth and gums offer many advantages. Excellent oral health prevents a lot of costly and complex dental treatments, essentially saving you a lot of money. It also contributes a lot to a beautiful smile, because healthy teeth simply look better than teeth full of cavities. Did you know that healthy teeth and gums also contribute to a healthy physique? The presence of large numbers of bacteria in the mouth is linked to an increase in the risk of heart disease and many other problems. Bacteria, when ingested. can cause problems for your circulatory system and physical well-being. Thus, healthy teeth and gums are greatly advantageous for overall physical health, in more ways than one. Here are 3 easy ways to achieve optimum oral health.
• Make it a habit to brush and floss after every meal. This eliminates the growth of bacteria present in the mouth. The mouth is a haven for food debris and bacteria. While bacteria are constantly present in the mouth, we can reduce their harmful effects with the daily habit of proper brushing and flossing. Brushing must be done at least 2 minutes to reduce the build-up of plaque on the teeth.
• Visit your dentist regularly for oral checkups and gum disease care and prevention. The dentist will check for signs of redness or inflammation in the gums, and then recommend the necessary dental treatments to prevent or treat gum disease. Early detection is key to early and effective treatment of dental problems.
• Let your dentist place protective sealants on your teeth. Sealants are plastic coatings used on molars, to smoothen their grooves; thus, preventing plaque and bacteria from penetrating this set of teeth. Sealants create a smooth surface, making it easy to clean your molars and rid them of cavity-causing bacteria.
• Avail yourself of deep cleanings or oral prophylaxis from your dentist. Even with proper brushing and flossing, plaque has the tendency to stick on the teeth and cause eventual problems. Only the dentist can remove hardened plaque and prevent the onset of cavities and decay.
• Fluoride treatments are another means to strengthen the teeth. While fluoride is a naturally occurring substance that we can get from tap water, a person who drinks a lot of bottled water may not receive an adequate dose of fluoride daily. Fluoride treatment, therefore, ensures that your teeth gets sufficient fluoride essential for the health and strength of your teeth.
Optimum Oral Health for a Beautiful Smile
A beautiful smile often follows with optimum oral health. A decayed tooth appears worn, dull, and yellowish. Plaque on the teeth also contributes to discoloration and eventual damage of the teeth. By following the 5 simple steps listed above, you can achieve optimum oral health for life and project a beautiful smile from the inside. Healthy teeth and gums are great for your physical health, which translates to the body functioning at its best.
Image Courtesy Pinterest